Zamioculcas Zamifolia (Eternity Plant or Zanzibar Gem)
Native to Zanzibar, Kenya and Eastern Africa.
Medium to bright filtered. Tolerates low light. Avoid direct sun, which scorches leaves.
18-24°C. Keep above 15°C.
Average. Tolerant of dry air.
Every 2 to 3 weeks. Water moderately (spring-fall) and allow moist potting mix to dry almost fully. Water more sparingly (winter) and allow barely moist mix to dry almost fully or completely. Sensitive to overwatering and susceptible to root rot. Always check moisture level before watering. Aerate mix to improve its condition.
Once a month (spring-fall). Use organic houseplant fertilizer, according to packaging instructions.
Every 1-2 weeks, rotate plant to ensure even growth. Every 1-2 months, dust leaves with a soft, damp cloth and inspect plant for pests, when doing so. Trim damaged or spent stems at their base with sterile shears. Trim dried leaf tips to a point.
Potting and Repotting
Peat-based mix. Transplant once pot-bound. For smaller plants: every 1-2 years (spring) move plant into a planter 1-2” larger (diameter and depth). For larger plants: every 2-3 years (spring) move plant into a planter 2-4” larger (diameter and depth) until maximum convenient pot size is reached. Thereafter, repot in the same pot, using new soil, after partially trimming back roots and foliage.
Special Points/Common Problems:
- Growth colouring ranges from lime (immature) to emerald green (mature), and protrudes from thick, fleshy stalks that rise above large, water-storing rhizomes beneath the soil.
- Mushy brown stalks and yellowing or dropping leaves may suggest overwatering.
- Brown or dried leaf tips may suggest underwatering.
- Bright light requires more frequent watering, while low light requires less frequent watering.
- Propagate from a single leaf cutlet.